If you're a sewing enthusiast who's admired the beauty and texture of sweater knit fabrics but didn't quite know how to work with them, then this online video workshop is for you. In this course you'll learn the foundation techniques for working with this stretchy and sometimes challenging fabric. Garment industry methods are translated and reworked for your home sewing environment. Step by step you'll learn the ins and outs of working with sweater knits, while you complete a beautiful pullover sweater to wear and enjoy.
This course will soon be open for enrollment. If you'd like information on when we'll be accepting students, please join the email list.
Here's what you'll learn:
- How to recognize the different kinds of sweater knit fabrics and how to choose the right one for your project
- A clear system for planning, cutting, and sewing your sweater with a step-by-step plan to complete it
- What to consider when choosing a sewing pattern for your project and tips on modifying the pattern to create a sweater you love
- A strategy for laying out your paper pattern on sweater knit fabric
- How to set up your sewing machine or serger specifically for sewing sweater knits
- When, where, and how to stabilize your fabric
- How to handle basic fit issues
- Techniques for finishing your seam allowances with a sewing machine or a serger
- The basic edge finishes for sweaters
In this sweater making workshop you'll improve your sewing skills and learn ones. Once you get a solid foundation and learn the system, your creativity will be your guide. Enjoy the craft of sewing sweaters for yourself and your family. Make sweaters as gifts or for a handmade business. You can make beautiful sweaters, even if you can't knit or crochet!
Olgalyn Jolly is a knit designer, living and working in New York City. After fashion and textile studies at Parsons School of Design and the Fashion Institute of Technology (F.I.T.), Olgalyn gathered many years of experience in the industry leading her own knitwear line and developing knit stitch designs for leading fashion houses and retailers. Olgalyn currently teaches Introduction to Knitwear Design at F.I.T. and produces a line of sweater knit fabrics. She enjoys teaching students of all ages and levels the joys and intricacies of working with knits.